But I will travel across broken glass on my kevlared belly to get one taste of fall.
Specifically tart, crisp, just crossed into season apples. My diet quickly turns into nothing but doctor scourges if I have access to honest orchard apples recently plucked off their bowing branches.
Though this also means if I snag a batch of not as ripe as they once were apples I am overly disappointed and plotting apple demise. So crack out the pastry torture devices jammed in your miscellaneous drawer, it's crisp time!
- 4 medium tart baking apples, peeled, sliced (4 cups)
- 1/3 cup plus 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cold butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, if desired
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup caramel topping
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (I added for funsies)