Friday, July 22, 2011

Addictive Buffalo Wings

I hope you still have your fry pan and oil out because today I'm going to share my all time favorite buffalo wing recipe.

Seriously these things are so horribly addictive I still find myself waking up in cold sweats dreaming about them. (Though that could just be from me eating them now that I think about it)

All you need is:
1/2 Cup Flour
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika (I use a smoked/chipotle blend but it's up to you *hint hint*)
1/4 tsp salt
10-14 wings - I've done both the buy them prepped and prep them myself route. I recommend a chain saw if you're going to cut off the wing tip and sever the joints.
Fry Oil
1/4 cup Hot Sauce (Franks for me, I love the slight sweetness and then burn.)
1/4 cup butter
garlic powder

About 2 hours before you want to start frying these bad boys mix together in a small bowl the flour, chili powder, paprika and salt. In a separate bowl add the wings and then drizzle the flour over top of that.
Put those into the fridge for about 2 hours. This'll help to give a nice crispy crunch to the wings (crispy crunch is the name of my next breakfast cereal band).

*Thanks to the magic of television it's now 2 hours later*

Get your fry oil up to 350 (I recommend a dragon but a stove works as well, philistines). The wings will have shed some of the flour mixture, just roll them around a bit in it again and drop them into the oil.
Leave them in for 10-15 minutes. This is a good time to say put out a drying rack with a paper towel, take pictures of hissing bubbling vats of oil or start the sauce.

This part's probably the easiest, just combine the butter and the hot sauce in a pan. Add a bit of the garlic powder and any other small spice you want. Then let it melt together in ooey gooeyness.
Hey hey, the wings are done.
Once they're degreaseified (and stop singing about their stupid lightning car) put all the wings into a bowl and drizzle the sauce over top.

Cello!

 All in all, not too much work to make and I'm drooling all over my poor blogger interface just looking at the picture.

Oh and don't forget the blue cheese, can't have wings without gobs of blue cheese.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love Buffalo Wings and have attempted to make them at home several times with very little success. I like your method. I'll have to try it. Probably when I make the zucchini fries.

CouldBeBetter said...

I'm so glad I followed the 'fat liberation' feed to your site! I made these -- well, a version of these -- yesterday, and they were amazing! I veganized your recipe by using large homemade gluten chunks in place of the chicken, and vegan margarine in place of the butter -- so yummy!