Friday, March 9, 2012

Swedish Meatballs

Regretfully, I come before to confess that I have never created nor consumed meat in any sort of spherical shape.

There were no balls formed from some protein that passed my lips or dropped magically from the sky and caused major meatball damage to the chassis of the car.

Thus, I have decided to try and rectify my past mistakes with a head dive straight into Swedish Meatball land, Thor and Billy Bookcase sold separately.

I got the recipe from here, but of course tweaked a few things.

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Tip)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
  • 8 ounces ground turkey breast (yeah I used a lb of hamburger instead because it's cheaper and easier to get)
  • 8 ounces ground pork
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth (for that I, oh you'll see)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon lingonberry or seedless raspberry jam (No no no, no sweet meat)

Preparation

 
My meatballs are trying to tell me something, the aliens are coming and they're extremely anal.
  1. Combine onion, bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, nutmeg and cardamom (if using) in a large bowl. Add turkey and pork; gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using a scant 2 tablespoons for each, make about 20 meatballs.
  2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally and reducing the heat if the pan gets too hot, until almost cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
  3. Add mushrooms to the pan and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until their liquid has been released and evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes.
  4. Whisk broth and flour in a bowl and add to the pan along with the meatballs. Bring to a simmer and cook until the meatballs are just cooked through and the sauce is thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add sour cream, parsley, jam and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt to the sauce; gently stir until combined. 
Instead of chicken broth I used beef. There isn't really a good reason for it, it was simply all I had in the house. Also I figured it would work better with the hamburger instead of their turkey/pork abomination hybrid. Stop playing God, EatingWell!

It was a good comfort food for cold or bad days, cardamon and nutmeg always work well in meat without overpowering it.
 And I was happy without the lingonberry sauce, which should only be enjoyed on toast or eaten straight out of the jar.
 All in all I give the Swedish Meatballs four toes up and half a carbuncle.

My dog also approved as she watched from her vantage point waiting to swoop in in case I should need assistance eating anything that fell onto the floor.

    1 comment:

    Linda said...

    Yum and I wouldn't have to enter Ikealand to get them.