Thursday, September 15, 2011

Sweet Potato Soup

I turn a wary eye to soups and stews (chili being more like a spicy Italian dish without the pasta getting in the way gets a wide berth into my arteries however), with their watery like base, strange bits bobbing for salvation only to be pulled back under by the tide, and texture that on a good day can only be described as something perfect for babies and the elderly.

But on occasion I get a hankering for one. This is typically when I am one bright light away from shedding my mortal coil but with me banging my head mercilessly against this unending summer I was willing to try just about anything that involved a stove/oven/leftovers to get me back into that fall cooking.

Thus was born the Sweet Potato Soup swiped generously from Better Homes & Gardens which is rather surprising in that I almost never find recipes there.

ingredients
  • 2 lb. sweet potatoes (I have no idea what makes a lb anymore so I went with three)
  • 3 green onions, coarsely chopped We don't believe in onions in this house so I skipped that.
  • 1 14-oz. can vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • tsp. curry powder (or 3 with some Vindaloo for a very curry kick)
  • Garlic powder 
  • Salt and ground black pepper
There's also something about a cheese crisp and baking it but I decided to make croutons instead.

 First step, take out a butter knife and stab away some of your frustrations upon your sweet potatoes. It's up to you if you need to reenact the shower scene from Psycho.

Put the potatoes in your microwave for 10 minutes or so. Oh and make sure to turn it on, don't just leave them in there to gossip about you behind your back.

When they're done they'll be super squishy and extremely hot. Donning your Solar Suit for traipsing across the surface of stars slice the potatoes in half and scoop the tasty tasty innards into a blender of doom (or food processor of ennui).
 The skins will look like some kind of horrific mutant that hides in a long abandoned building and sheds bits of itself all over the walls. Great way to scare children or the elderly.

To the potato add half of the stock and the cream.
Now pray to your deity of choice, Newton or that still red tomato stain on the ceiling that your blender will remain in one piece and puree up that stuff.

I can't watch. *whirr* *whirr* *whirr* Is it? Is it over? And there isn't potato goo in the living room?

Okay good, well then into a pot goes the mess CAREFULLY! lest the whole thing decide to give out.

Add in the curry, the garlic powder if you so choose and the salt to make it tasty and warm on the insides.

Just top off with some croutons (which you may not want to forget about and let burn to a nice golden Snooki) and maybe a crab cake on the side (it is a universal truth that sweet potatoes and crabs are BFF and love spending all their time together).
Easy soup that takes at most a half hour if you spend 10 minutes hiding inside the cabinets for fear of the blender exploding.

But the important thing to remember is to feed the sweet potato skinned monster or he'll start leaving even more droppings where you're certain to slip on them.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

seeing the sweet potato skins lying there reminds me of the graboids on the movie "Tremors".

@acca said...

Well many recipes on the internet always come with blend sweet potato for the soup :(
I think I need to like it that way as other people had to make. This is something I need to try.
How to Make Sweet Potato Fries