Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Picture a Day-Day 42



Every job has its little perks. If you work for a retailer you get a small (or nice) discount, if for an animal clinic it's all the free samples of dog food and if for an office it's all the post-it notes that aren't nailed down.

Working in a laboratory provides perks in its own special little way, not so much in tangible goods but in outright fun.

Yesterday I received an order of some special enzymes which always have to be kept super cold. One came on a boring ice pack but the other was a great score. The box was full of that most wonderful of solids CO2 better known as dry ice.

Looks rather innocuous doesn't it? Just little white pellets. That's why you have to introduce a little H2O to the compound to get the reaction going.

Better than any smoke or fog machine eh? I love to reach into the sink and pull up clouds of it.This one would make a nice little background for some cloud or smoke texturing on picture don't ya think? As you can see I gave up on it long before it'd all ran out, they ship you that much dry ice. But if I ever had to flash freeze something (and had no access to liquid nitrogen) or create a spooky atmosphere it's just an enzyme order away.

What perks do you get for your job or at least something that provides vast amounts of entertainment? Anyone else play with dry ice a lot?

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am tres jealous you get to play with fun chemicals.

I haven't had that opportunity since my parents bought me the chemistry kit in 4th grade...and I believe all I made was "grass in a bottle."

ashley said...

oooooOOOOOOOOoooooo... hehe, fun!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! That is so awesome! I have to admit that I am slightly jealous that you get to play with such fun things!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Wow..my son needs to see these pictures!
-sandy toe

Linda said...

I love playing with dry ice. Although I rarely have the occasion. Color me jealous!
And you did help, silly. I was going to go with one of the site you sent me but I googled to see what else was out there and found this. Trust me I'll get bored or something and change everything again.

Paul Franson said...

Good pictures!

Just make sure you have good ventilation. CO2 displaces O2 at pretty high rate as dry ice sublimates.

All in all, a very nice start to a pic-a-day blog. Thanks for the add, and I look forward to following your adventures.

Ellen Mint said...

Paul, I've actually been doing this for 42 days so far (the title is usually a giveaway).

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

u have the coolest job ever!
RelentlessBride

Carrie Mae said...

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Pretty. That sink picture is too wonderful!

(also, an Irish Cream cake, eh? That sounds like a good challenge... of course, I don't have any just hanging out around the house like I did with the Kahlua...)

Cate Subrosa said...

That is so cool!