Thursday, September 4, 2008

My family sucks

So I was all prepared to showcase my lovely (read cheap and easy) programs today but then last night I get a call from my Mother.

She's called all those outstanding people we were waiting on RSVPs for.

Not a single one is coming.

That means that out of 70-80 people invited on my side only 18 are coming and of those 18, 6 are my sisters huge family and 7 are another.

Excuse me for a minute while I pound my head into the wall.

*slam* *slam* *slam*

I shouldn't be surprised though, my family can't bother to show up for anything in my life from confirmation to graduation (oh and believe me they don't send gifts or anything to acknowledge it either). I didn't even bother with any kind of party after graduating from college, there was no point.

It is really pathetic when we have a much better showing from Chicago than those that live just an hour or less away.

So, we're looking at a really tiny 50 person wedding but damn it we're gonna have the smashingest rollicking wedding ever. And we have enough candy and food to keep everyone and maybe some people who are wandering by happy and satiated.

And I'll make sure to send lots of pictures to all those that weren't willing to come.

11 comments:

Holly Cummings said...

Boooooo. Well, more candy for you!
p.s. - still want to see the programs.

jennifer said...

I'm in the same boat...I have 7 older cousins and I think one of them is attending. Come on people! I'm the last of our generation to get married too. Family does suck.

Ellen Mint said...

I think it's doubly hard to get anyone to care if you're the last one.

It is kinda sad when I am the last and I'm a whole 25 and I'm not even close the youngest.

Cate Subrosa said...

I'm so sorry :(

We're only having 50 people to our wedding by choice, so hopefully it won't feel too tiny!

Think of all the money you'll save...?

valerie said...

Boo!! My family has dropped the ball on coming to the wedding too! Brett's family, though, especially the ones I was promised "won't even think one second about coming," have RSVP'd that they are coming.

We only invited about 60 of my family... and about 1000 of his family. WTF!?! So most of our wedding is going to be strangers I haven't met and people he hasn't seen in 10-15 years.

I second the wanting to see the programs... so can steal all your ideas. ;)

valerie said...

So, definitely supposed to say "100 of his family." I don't think I would send out 1,060 invitations. ;)

Anonymous said...

I so understand your pain. My "family" is the same way.

Jenna said...

Oh man! I'm so sorry for you. Be grateful for the friends and family so excited and willing to support you on your big day. We're all here following along with you. *Hugs*

Tayia said...

That just sucks. I'd love to come! I didn't even put RSVP cards in our invites. I figure if people want to come they will. If not, we didn't want those types (jerks)there anyways. I'll be there in spirit!

jen said...

You should be grateful they aren't coming, since you'll save your effort and resources for those who truly care for and support you and your fiancee.

Rachel said...

Oh wow, none of your family is coming?? That does suck!!

Thanks for the cheerful advice/story on my blog. Yeah, I know small showers can be fun. I just thought it might be pointless to have 2 small showers with pretty much exactly the same people.... I like your idea better. Maybe I'll just invite one or two and we'll just get tipsy!