Monday, June 1, 2009

Picture a Day - Day 180

Ignore the decorations.

Try to look past the wall color.

You can always change the carpet.

What are things you'll hear from realtors 30 times over when going to open houses?

WINNER!! WINNER!! WINTER!!

Sweet, what's the prize? I get to look at even more open houses? Screw that.

I suppose what I'm getting at is that people trying to get you to buy the house like to stress that you must look past the horrific purple on the wall or the pepto pink carpet in the bathroom when you're looking for the first time.

We're generally pretty good about that and just ignore the more superficial stuff looking at the layout and the permanant things, but then I saw this:Look ma! I have three legs now!

We cannot for the life of us figure out just who would want a huge wall of mirrors in their bedroom. And due to the fact that it's a checkerboard style and not one large mirror everything you see in it is weirdly distorted.

So I guess if you wanted your kid to grow up to be a carnival barker or Picasso it's a great room. For everyone else who just wants the normal four walls not so much. There were a lot of other reasons this one was vetoed but out of all the houses we've seen this is the one where I'd really like to meet the owners and ask them just what the hell they were thinking.

Did they really believe that one wall made entirely out of reflective glass would get more buyers? How many hours do you have to spend trying to clean those damn things from all the smudge marks? What would you put in front of it as they go all the way to the floor? You'd have to base the room entirely so people would spend their time staring back at their weirdly distorted faces.

My Mother-in-Law said that maybe they used it to talk to their dead relatives. That's about the last thing I'd want. Some old great aunt I never saw barging in while I'm in the middle of a painting to offer her own criticism for how I can't hold the brush the right way and why won't I stop slouching, dagnabbit.My camera had to say "Hi" once more. It never gets any attention.

What's the weirdest choice you've seen in decorating? Lime green walls? A wall papered shower? I bet nothing can top the bedroom of creepy disembodied heads and seance we found.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is a pretty intense mirror.

I remember while looking at condos, there was one where they put tile in the kitchen and it sagged in the middle by about 2 - 3 inches. Not a good idea. Neither is cheap red & blue paint. Or old bananas in turned off fridges.

Chesney said...

Every day you manage to put a smile on my face! You are funny! Remember what I said - take your time and find the perfect home - you don't have to move, so find something you love!

Linda said...

Someone really wanted a mirrored wall but lacked the cash to buy one large mirror. Mirrored tile is much cheaper.