Monday, September 14, 2009

The Scarecrow is Watching

Bones and skeletons have never bothered me.

Ghosts are just a slight annoyance that you can easily distract with a tasty snack and then zap with your proton pack.

Zombies are easily escapable with the liberal use of a golf cart and cricket bat.

But there is one Halloween Monster that sends shivers up my spine. The dead all seeing eyes tied up on the pole drill through me cataloging my every step. And worst of all if he does start chasing you there is a good chance he could chuck corn cobs at you.

I speak, of course, of the scarecrow. That cute little adorable fall decoration your grandmother puts up every year from Hobby Lobby to remind everyone it's autumn. But oh that scarecrow has a dark side, when you're not looking the lovable smile transforms into a sneer, the floppy arms and legs bend and cruelly twist and the button eyes take on an eerie red glow.

So what's one to do when they have a deep fear of something? Make a painting of it of course.
If you click on the image you can see it a bit larger but you really have to see the detail on the scarecrow. Far away he could almost look lovable but when you get close the shivers start up.
It still needs some touchups but this painting was kicking my butt the whole weekend as I had an idea of what I wanted but it just wouldn't cooperate and get out of my head onto the canvas. Then all of a sudden it just came together.

My favorite part though are all those little eyes in the field. And when the lights go down the eyes all light up and glow. (Best use I can think of right now for glow in the dark paint)
Whatcha think? I'm thinking I might just keep this one.

Is there any of the big Halloween monsters that you have an irrational fear of?

4 comments:

Chesney said...

This is so fun and festive!! I think you need this one to go w/ all your Halloween decorations! Your scarecrow kinda reminds me of clowns - in the light they look so bright and cheery, then when the door is shut and the lights are turned off, watch out, that clown turns evil...

Linda said...

That looks great.
Like Chesney I have a fear of clowns.

valerie said...

Yeah, I hate on the clowns too. And I also have this big fear of, um... ravens. That's a Halloween thing, right? Damn, I hate ravens.

Read and See said...

Hmm, I'd never thought of being afraid of Scarecrows (since my entire experience with them comes from The Wizard of Oz), but your guy is kinda creepy.

I also have a fear of clowns! So many people do, so how on earth do they still exist??

I'm most scared of posessed toys and evil children, though. And evil clowns kind of count as a posessed toy, in my head!