Monday, April 6, 2009

Picture a Day - Day 125

*Gets on top of horse*

The Easter Bunny is coming! The Easter Bunny is coming! One if by land, two if by rocket! The Easter Bunny is coming!

*Gets off of horse and wonders just where it came from*

Yep if all the signs and ads covered in bunnies and peeps haven't clued you in it's almost Easter and what's a Palm Sunday without a giant pot of boiling water, some chicken ova and dye drops? Even though I'm all grown up and moved out and don't have anyone to hide them from it just doesn't feel like Easter until I've ODed on Jesus Christ Superstar or dyed eggs.

This time; however, we went old school and skipped over the store bought dyes and just used what we had in our cupboard:Food dye worked a lot better than the store bought tablets, I'd say, especially for red. Just add a teaspoon of vinegar to a 1/2 cup of boiling water and then 20 drops or so (for the red I doubled that). The only major fail was purple but, frankly, purple and I don't get along very well. It knows what it did.

Then came the dipping and making a huge mess time. My poor fingers still put a Warhol picture to shame. We always start out all serious making a really nice one or two shade egg but after doing 2 or three that way we start to denigrate to just sticking the egg in as many colors as possible and seeing what comes out (usually a quite ugly color).

It was also kinda funny using nothing but mugs and boiling water with spoons in them. Felt like I was making tea for 6 people, well till the tea drinkers were to look inside their cup:
Check out the close up of just the egg. Like an alien in deep water or something isn't it?

Here are all of our finished dozen eggs with their pretty coats of many colors: Oh and so I don't give the impression that every single egg I boiled came out perfectly and never cracked, here's just one (of the five) that looks like some evil alien is trying to escape from its spacecraft pod (Mork calling Orson, come in Orson):Anyone else just have to dye eggs even if you have no one to hide them for or from? Anyone got the secret to keeping these crazy things from cracking in the water? While we both enjoyed our quick shot of protein from eating the losers it was still a pain.

What's your default Easter egg color? My husband and I practically fight over who gets to use the blue and green. Poor orange got used a whole once and yellow twice.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes watching Jesus Christ Superstar.

Pretty eggs! I haven't made Easter eggs since I was in Germany 5 years ago. I made an egg called the "Deutschland Eier" (Germany Egg) because it looked like the German flag.

They did something neat with their eggs, though. They kept them raw and poked holes in the eggs to drain them and would hang them on trees. It was fun!

AmyJean {Relentless Bride®} said...

I'm jealous. I want to do eggs too :)

PS. Loved your last comment. SO TRUE! Thanks for those words! :)
RelentlessBride

Chesney said...

Even though my boys claim they are too old at 15 to color eggs, they are also first in line to do it! when they turned 13 we started a tradition - the ugliest egg contest - unfortunately it is hard to make an easter egg ugly (maybe "fortunately"! LOL

Leslie said...

The best way I've heard to try to decrease the amount of cracked eggs is to line the bottom of the pan with a towel. I've not ever tried it, though.

Just be careful with the "homemade" dye. It is like a curse. It continues to come off even after it has dried.

Linda said...

I haven't dyed easter eggs in years. I do love the pretty colors!

The Less Than Domestic Goddess said...

Yay for coloring Easter eggs!! Reminds me of my childhood.