Monday, April 20, 2009

Picture a Day - Day 139

There are a few things I start to get the itch for once about April rolls around.

I wanna plant something and actually have it grow instead of stubbornly refuse to come out of its room.

Every meal for about two weeks will have been grilled in some form or fashion regardless of how practical it is (pasta is a bit of a challenge).

Finally, I want to smack a bright yellow-green ball all over the place.

For most of my life I've had trouble getting someone to play with me. It isn't that I'm really that good (or honestly good at all), I just love playing it so much I can do it for hours and hours in just about any weather. And I get so excited when anyone does agree to play I wear them ragged.

We actually do have access to a free court but it's also where we work and sometimes you just want to limit how much you have to see the same building every day. So instead, and also to sort of tie in with That Wife's April Lifestyle challenge , I present for your consideration Parking Lot Tennis:Parking Lot Tennis is a lot like Street Tennis I used to play as a kid. There's no net for the ball to get caught up on and no high fences to keep it from winging its way into the neighbors yard and down the block.

You'd think we wouldn't have to be on the look out for cars, but you'd be amazed how many people are too lazy to want to walk to get their mail.I actually took all these pictures while simultaneously playing so if they look a little weird that'd be why. It is kinda interesting holding a racket in one hand and a camera in the other.The Parking Lot right outside our apartment complex slopes just a tiny bit (about 45 degrees) so there is a whole lot of chasing after the ball (and you just come to accept divots as part of the landscape). Luckily there are no storm drains to catch and eat it up (I can't tell you the number of times I had to go down into the sewers to retrieve a ball or hockey puck). ACTION SHOT! I made my husband look like he's missing an arm, oopsie.

Well that is my suggestion for what you can do for free round about town on a bright sunny day.

All right, so it's mostly free if you already own a racket and a can or two of balls. Though balls don't really last very long so I suppose there's a good chance you'd have to buy a new set.

Okay slight revision, Parking Lot tennis is a great game to play for free if you find some old rackets in the attic and also stumble across a fiver so you can pick up a can of balls at Wal-Mart.

Thank You.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I love tennis. It was the only sport I played in high school. We have a court at our apartment complex but it's usually full of kids. I do love playing Wii Tennis. It's not the same thing but easier to play at 10pm at night!

Lindsey said...

LOVE tennis! What a creative idea, so cute!

Chesney said...

When I was a teen I took a few yrs of tennis lessons, and to this day, I still can't play! Love that shadow picture - creative take!

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome! I wish our parking lot was empty enough to do that.

The only time I successfully played tennis was while I was in Crete - it was a lot of fun! I did try it in junior high but all the tennis balls ended up on the school's roof.